Michelle Sandlin is a freelance writer and weekly columnist in the Houston Chronicle. She loves to talk about her experiences as a writer, as much as she enjoys writing. Keep reading to learn more.
My name is Michelle Sandlin, and I am writing this on the eve of yet another birthday, which is always a very reflective time for me. I want to tell you a little bit about who I am right now, but that is impossible without telling you a little bit about how I got here. In short, I still think of myself as very much the same as I was when I was about 21-years-old. I have never felt my age, and still don’t. Fortunately, I have never looked my age either, so it’s easy to pull off a younger look. I really dig that!
I grew up in Shreveport, Louisiana and will always think of Louisiana as home. That will never change. I now live in Houston, but have dreamed my whole life of one day living in California. I really don’t know if that will ever happen, but a girl can dream.
I am a lot of things…a writer, a drummer, a photographer (and selfie artist)…and a wife, a mother, and a grandmother (yikes!). I am very active on social media, so please connect and follow me everywhere.
A few other random things about Michelle Sandlin …
- I am a control freak, more than a little obsessive compulsive, and a germ-a-phoebe.
- I am a hopeless romantic and believe that true love lasts forever.
- I have been known to spend an entire weekend doing absolutely nothing and not feeling guilty about it.
- I put cayenne pepper on pretty much everything.
- I often expect people to read between the lines instead of coming right out and saying what I really mean.
- My friendships are very important to me. If I am your friend, I am your friend forever, and you can count on me to be there, no matter what, completely unconditionally and without passing judgment.
- In spite of my desire to be a cool parent, I have had to make some really uncool decisions over the years.
- I loved growing up with my kids as much as I loved watching them grow.
- My husband and I are cell mates as much as we are soul mates. (That’s an inside joke!)
- I sometimes use sarcasm as a weapon. I am not proud of that, but it’s the truth.
- Music has always been a constant source of punctuation in my life.
I have spent my whole life as a writer…it just took me a few decades to realize it! I am also a relocation industry expert, a drummer, and someone who loves combining all of this and sharing it in a very public way via social media. I live my life out loud, and I attribute social media for both the creation and emergence of my personal brand. It gave me my voice and allowed me to express myself and really connect with people in a whole new way. I am told that there is an inspirational quality to what I write and what I do, and that is a constant source for my own inspiration.
I am best known as a columnist in the Houston Chronicle. My weekly “On the Move” columns are published on Sundays in the Real Estate Section of the newspaper. I also write a Houston Chronicle Blog: “On the Move – Exploring Houston Relocation with Michelle Sandlin.”
I am a contributing writer for the Houston Business Journal, The Business Journals, Worldwide ERC’s MOBILITY magazine, and several other publications and corporate blogs.
As a writer and journalist, I have the unique opportunity to be the voice of the relocation industry and tell the stories that really speak to the important topics, trends and challenges, while featuring the top industry professionals and the clients they serve. While global mobility has put me on the map (literally), it is only one of the many topics that I write about in publications and for my clients.
I have been a guest lecturer for an Advanced Journalism class at the University of Houston, and a guest lecturer multiple times at Rice University.
When I am not writing for others, I am generally writing for me. I express my personal thoughts and philosophies on life and writing here on my website, and through my posts on LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.
My Mantra: Create Rock Star moments in everything that you do!
My Philosophy: Feel the fear and do it anyway!
My Unique Edge: I actually do march to the beat of my own drummer!
Would you like me to write for you? If you are interested, please click on: Hire Me!